martedì 12 febbraio 2019

JONATHAN SIMKHAI FALL WINTER 2019 COLLECTION


Before the Shah of Iran was exiled, my grandfather ran a lace mill in Tehran. My connection to his rich heritage and expertise in lace has always offered so much inspiration. This season however, I looked back at the other half of my family's diverse history. I looked back to my mother's grandmother who was born in Odessa, Ukraine. I was compelled to incorporate some traditional garb that represented the time while my grandmother lived there. The headscarves worn by the babushkas at the time were worn as protective layers against the harsh winters, and I am delighted to present them in a new light.


The concept of the headscarf is used throughout this fall winter collection and within our custom prints. The silhouettes this season elicit a vintage spirit while equally exuding modern appeal. The traditional headscarves are incorporated into the actual form of the dress; adding elements of innovation and allure. For this collection I spent a lot of time experimenting with new colors ways, fabrications, prints and patterns based on the palette and landscapes seen in Odessa.


I challenged myself to incorporate some of these traditional elements in newly conceptualized blueprints. Houndstooth and our new approach to plaids pay homage to my family while stylistically adding layers of complexity. Experimentation in color led us to the intertwining of mahogany, marigold, and turmeric against peacock blue, purple reign and electric green. Menswear and continuing the use of masculine elements are entangled with new twists on femininity. Known for their use in handkerchiefs and ties, foulard is used throughout this collection, emblazoned with eye-catching miniature print.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento